Friday, May 25, 2007

The Sparkle In Her Eyes

Life was never the same after I met Kate. She was the kind of girl who could lift your spirit just by her presence. A smart, cheerful girl who believed that true love knows no boundaries. As we sat in the dim candle light of Café Paris I saw the same sparkle in her eyes when we first kissed. She looked at me and smiled. I was so absorbed by her eyes that I just sat there dumb. It finally took a kick from her to my leg to make me notice that the waiter was standing near us to take the order. The day was February 13.
We had a nice dinner and walked under the calm, silver moon light towards the car. I reached into the pocket of my pant and felt the small box. It contained the ring that I was supposed to present to her. It had been only two weeks since we first met, but I knew she was the ONE who could make my life truly happy. I pondered for sometime and decided to present it to her on Valentine’s day. My thoughts were interrupted by a gentle nudge to my rib; Kate said “Its getting late dear, I have to go to work tomorrow”.
We got inside the car and started driving; the freeway wasn’t very crowded so the drive was pleasant and smooth. The cool wind was gently patting my head and I could feel the comfort it induced. I felt her hand on my cheek, I looked at her, and she was laughing. I asked her “What’s wrong with you?” She replied “Nothing, you keep getting lost in your own world. And when you do that, you have a really cute look on your face”
I just grinned.
It was then that I noticed the flashing lights of police cruisers coming towards us; they were on the wrong side of the freeway. Kate exclaimed “Christ, this is supposed to be a one way right?”
It was then that we noticed a black mini-van tearing through the freeway, coming towards us at break neck speed. I realized it was a chase, I had seen scenes like these on TV before. Before I could react I heard the tyres screeching and the van collided our car head on. When I regained consciousness, I was trapped in a mangled piece of metal; that was once my car. My head was bleeding heavily, I glance towards where Kate was sitting. I saw the cops pulling her out. The air smelt heavily of petrol, It didn’t take long before I lost my senses again..

When I woke up I was in the hospital room, my body was covered with tubes and there was the constant beep of the electronic instruments monitoring my life signs. I looked around, I saw Kate standing next to me; She was smiling. She came towards me and held my hand. She said “I’m so happy you made it, I was very worried about you”
Kate moved towards the corner of the room.

Then the door opened , a team of doctors rushed into the room.
One of them asked me “Mr.Steven, Can you hear me?”
I mumbled weakly “Yes”
He then said “You were in a coma for the past three days”
I smiled and replied faintly “I was?”
She said “I’m sorry about Miss Kate. I’m afraid she didn’t make it”
I looked towards the corner of the room, “I could still see Kate standing there, with the same sparkle in her eyes when we first kissed”

No comments: