Sunday, July 5, 2009

Mumbai:An Acco nightmare!


Well,I don't intend to bore you with the details of life in Mumbai.I am sure there are a lot of blogs in the blogosphere who can provide you with the details.
Bottom line is,life out here is hectic,tough and at the same time filled with masti.
All that said and done,one of my friends came over to Bombay(I keep switching between Bombay and Mumbai) so that he could attend a course and if possible,try to find out a good job here.I thought it was a good move,Mumbai is after all a city of opportunities.
Since he was planning to stay for a month or so,he wanted me to check if there was any good accommodation available out here.The thought of that made me a bit anxious.Being familiar with the intricacies of Bombay life,I knew that real estate and money were the two areas where the city can screw you really hard(pardon my language).
So I started off with an 'accommodation hunting' spree in the internet.I searched for a hotels,lodges,guest houses etc etc.
Him(my friend) being a newbie made things only worse as he came with a budget(which would have provided him a 5star accommodation in any other city) that wouldn't get him past ten days in a city like Bombay.And since he was keen about having an independent room,the only option available were budget hotels(since Paying Guest accommodation meant you had to share the room with total strangers).
Now,(here's my favorite part),there are two types of hotels in this world-
1)The illegitimate kind that charges you by the hour.(The kind you would want to avoid at all costs)
2)Then the ones that are comparatively safer.
We categorized these 'budget hotels' into three on the basis of daily rental-
(1000-1500)-The rundown kind, located in some narrow gully, where the cleaner is also the receptionist and the cook.
(1500-2500)-Pretty decent ones near the main road,where you are given a room that rivals a jail cell.
(2500-5000)-Not much different from the above,except that there is a doorman who opens the door for you at the entrance.
How would you justify a hotel that charges 5000 bucks a day,as a budget hotel?
Ans: The hotel's in Mumbai.

My point is,if you ever plan to come to Bombay for a long duration,it's highly recommended that you do some research and fix your budget accordingly.Some of the options that you can look into for accommodation are as a Paying Guest,Budget hotels or a serviced apartment.
But be ready to spend a wad of notes.
Or better still,call up that long lost distant cousin of yours from Mumbai and stay with him.


Image source: http://www.amren.com/ar/1999/08/broke.gif

2 comments:

Rashmi said...

LOLzzzz :) i must say you do have quite an insight of Bombay eerr Mumbai is much more costlier than Bombay was....nice read.

Incognito said...

True..And i really need to make up my mind before writing another piece about Mumbai/Bombay..I love both the names equally! :P