Sunday, September 6, 2009

Tryst with the Guitar


I've always wanted to learn to play a guitar ever since I watched Slash in one of the Guns N Roses video.The ease with which he does his magic onstage tricked me into believing that playing a guitar would be a cakewalk.
Anyway,after a month of deliberation and spending quite a significant amount for purchasing a new guitar,I finally landed up for my first ever guitar class.I was amused to find a motley crowd of people like me who did not even know how to hold a guitar properly.There was the clueless left handed guy trying to play with a right handed guitar to the girl who shifted from one fret to another the way you would in case you were playing a Sitar(apparently she had mastered Sitar and was trying her hand on western instruments).
Then there was me,who couldn't avoid the abominable twanging sound every time i played a chord.
After the class I came back home,and started practicing after everyone fell asleep.The night was silent and pleasant,I opened the balcony door and put a chair there.The soothing sight of silver moonlight greeted me there.The cool wind caressed my face,I took out my guitar and took a moment to take in the beauty of this nocturnal setting.
I placed my fingers on the fret board and strummed a C-Major slowly,then I shifted to a G-major and an E-minor.Then i heard a slight whimper which eventually turned into a long howl, which was then reinforced by a series of howls from distant localities.
The dogs just broke into a frenzy and the neighbours started switching on their lights.I hit the floor with my guitar and crawled my way back into the house,unseen.
I haven't given up yet.

Image: http://www.sito.org/id/ick/Guitar_Player.jpg

2 comments:

Rashmi said...

LOLzzzz i am sorry for this but i couldnt stop myself...but you sure will learn it buddy...just keep practising without giving up.
Cheers!

Anne said...

bah.. How similar our lives be.
Especially the last para.